Camping Tips and Tricks
If you fancy getting outdoors for a spot of camping fun, use our handy camping tips and tricks to help you enjoy the perfect holiday.
Camping is a fantastic way to relax, explore the countryside and get away from it all, but there is some preparation involved. Read our top tips to help get you started on what will hopefully be a fun and rewarding trip.
CAMPING TIPS - BEFORE YOU LEAVE
- Be prepared! Use our camping checklist to help you pack all the essential gear.
- Check the weather forecast - if there's a chance of rain, make sure you've got some waterproof clothing and wellies.
- Practice pitching your tent in the garden so you're familiar with the instructions.
- If you don't fancy spending ages putting up a tent, consider a pop-up tent - they're great for quick getaways and festivals.
- Always take spare tent pegs and guy lines, as they can get broken or lost quite easily.
- Plan your route in advance, and take a map even if you have a sat nav.
- Make sure you have some money and your mobile phone in case of emergencies.
Everyday household items like string, duct tape, kitchen foil, Tupperware boxes, plastic bags, matches and toilet roll can come in very handy when camping, so pop them in your rucksack if you have room.
CAMPING TIPS - WHEN YOU GET THERE
When you get to the site, pick the spot where you're going to pitch your tent carefully:
- Don't camp in a dip, as water will gather there if it rains. Choose a flat or gently sloping pitch on higher ground if possible.
- Insects like to live near water, so if you're camping next to a river or lake, take plenty of repellent and close the insect nets on your tent door.
- Don't camp right next to the toilets or water point, as these can be noisy and can get waterlogged - not to mention the smells you might encounter!
- Keep the tent door facing away from the wind and sleep with your feet pointing downhill for the best comfort.
Also, don't forget to make sure your tent is dry before packing it away, and air it out when you get home to prevent it going mouldy.
GET CAMPING GEAR FROM HALFORDS
One final camping tip - use our store locator to see if there's a Halfords on your route or near your campsite. You could reserve the camping equipment you need online and pick it up on the way, or pop out and get anything you've forgotten once you're on-site.