How To Lock A Bike Securely
If you've spent your hard-earned money on a bike, you'll want to protect it from potential thieves. Read our guide on how to lock a bike securely for some tips on how to keep it safe.
It's important to note that no bike lock is completely thief-proof. However you can take certain steps to secure your bicycle as much as possible, and deter opportunistic thieves from attempting to take it.
See below for our top tips on the best way to lock a bike to lower the chances of it being stolen.
How To Lock a Bike - Top Tips
- ALWAYS lock up your bike whenever you leave it unattended, even for a short time.
- When you're at home, make sure you lock your bike overnight. Try to keep it out of view by putting it in your garage or house, or lock it in your back garden.
- Two or even three locks are better than one - we recommend using a shackle lock and a chain lock, both fixed to a permanent object and threaded though the frame and wheels.
- When locking your bike to an object, analyse the object first. Make sure you are locking your bike to a fixed object like a lamppost or bike rack. Avoid things that are easily cut, or things too short, as the bike will simply lift over it.
- Lock your bike in a well-lit area with a lot of foot traffic - thieves will be less likely to attempt to steal your bike.
- Lock your bike where there are other bikes locked as well. If you cycle to work, leave a heavy-duty lock at your workplace to secure it during the day.
- Secure all bike accessories with a second bike cable, including any quick release mechanisms you may have.
- Do not simply lock the bike frame to the wheel, as your bike can easily be carried away and the lock destroyed later.
Bike Locks at Halfords
At Halfords we sell a huge range of bicycle locks both online and in-store.
When choosing a lock, you should pick one that suits your individual requirements, such as where you keep your bike and how much weight you can carry. For more help with this, refer to our bike locks buyer's guide, or call into your local Halfords where the staff can assist.
Bike locks can be reserved online and collected in-store, or bought online for home delivery - order today.