How to Clean a Bike Chain
Cleaning bike chains regularly means they will perform better and last longer. If you're unsure how to do it properly, read this guide on how to clean a bike chain from Halfords.
Bike chain cleaning prevents the build up of grease and dirt in your chain, meaning you can change gear more smoothly. It will also help to prevent wear to bike parts, saving you money on repairs or replacements in the long run.
BIKE CHAIN CLEANING AT HALFORDS
Here's what you'll need when cleaning a bike chain. Make sure you always use specific bike cleaning products, as some non-cycling products can damage parts.
Follow the simple steps below on how to clean bike chains simply and thoroughly.
CLEANING BIKE CHAINS THE EASY WAY
- For an easy and effective way to keep your chain gleaming, consider buying a bike chain cleaner kit. These clever devices clip onto your bike and allow you to pass the chain through cleaning fluid and brushes, doing all the work for you.
- These kits are very effective at cleaning bike chains quickly and thoroughly, and are available to buy at Halfords.
CLEANING BIKE CHAINS WITHOUT A CHAIN CLEANING KIT
If you don't have a chain cleaning kit, follow these easy steps:
- Stand your bike upright or on a bike workstand.
- Dip a chain brush in chain cleaner then use it to scrub the chain's components clean.
- Rinse the chain using water squeezed from the sponge or by using a low-pressure hose.
- Dry the chain with a cloth.
- Lubricate the chain by dripping lube into the links, while slowly turning pedals backwards.
BIKE CLEANING PRODUCTS AT HALFORDS
As well as chain cleaning products, Halfords has everything else you could need to keep your bicycle spotless. Bike cleaning products can be reserved online for collection in-store, or delivered direct to your home.