Replacement Number Plates Made at Halfords
If either of your car number plates is cracked, broken, faded or has marks obscuring the letters and numbers, it is illegal and must be replaced. Luckily you can get new or replacement number plates made at your local Halfords.
Halfords can supply brand new registration plates for your car or motorcycle with our "while you wait service". All you need to do is bring the necessary documents to your local store, and you can have your car number plates made whilst you wait.
You may also require a set of number plates for towing, or if you buy a rear-mount cycle carrier that obscures your registration plates. We can provide additional plates for both of these purposes.
Styles of Number Plates Available
Halfords stores can supply new standard oblong, square or motorcycle number plates in various styles. You can choose from five different emblems and three different borders.
Lettering is also available in a choice of standard, hi-line, 3D or carbon.
All our new and replacement number plates are completely road legal and DVLA approved. Standard number plates start from £15.99 each.
At least one original document from each of the lists below is required. The combination of the documents must be sufficient to check your name, address and the entitlement.
Documents Required for New or Replacement Number Plates
Halfords can only provide you with new or replacement number plates for your vehicle if you bring the correct documentation with you to your local store. The law states that in order to obtain new registration plates, customers have to provide current proof of identity and proof of entitlement to the registration mark quoted.
Two original documents are needed in store to allow us to supply you with a legal number plate. One must be a proof of identify, and the second a proof of entitlement. We will accept the following documents:
Proof of Identity:
- A driving licence
- A Bank/Building Society statement
- A current utility, telephone or Council Tax bill
- A passport
- A National ID card issued by the Government of a state of territory other than the UK
- A debit or credit card issued by a bank or building society
- A police warrant card
- An armed forces identity card
Proof of Entitlement:
- A Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C) (Please be aware only the new red V5C Certificates are accepted and not the old blue Certificates)
- The tear- off slip (V5C/2) from (V5C section 10)
- A Certificate of entitlement to a mark (V750)
- A Cherished Transfer Retention Certificate (V778)
- A Vehicle Licence Renewal (V11)
- A Temporary Registration Certificate (V379)
- An Authorisation Certificate (V948) from DVLA Local Office with official DVLA stamp
- A letter of authorisation from Fleet Operators (including a lease/hire company). The letter must quote the document reference number from the V5C
- A record of the insurer's name, reference and policy number (for repairs approved by an insurance company).
You must be able to confirm your identity, address and proof of vehicle entitlement.
In certain cases, you may need to provide a third piece of documentation if the two documents brought into store do not contain your address. For example, if you chose a debit card and V948, neither document shows your address. Therefore a further piece of documentation must be provided.
Please note: These are legal guidelines imposed by the DVLA. Halfords stores cannot provide you with a new or replacement registration plate without the above documentation.
New & Replacement Number Plates Fitting Service
As well as making new and replacement number plates, Halfords can also fit them for you. We can either use adhesive pads to fix the plates to the vehicle, or drill the plates for you for extra security. Our number plates start from £15.99 and our fitting prices are:
|Service||WeFit Price*||Pad/Screws (From)||Total (From)|
|Single Plate, Stuck On||£3.00
|Pair of Plates, Stuck On||£5.00||£2.99||£7.99|
|Single Plate, Drilled||£5.99||£1.99||£7.98|
|Pair of Plates, Drilled||£8.99||£1.99||£10.98|
|Pair of Plates, Combination (1 Drilled, 1 Stuck On)||£8.00||£4.98||£12.98|
*Fitting only, does not include cost of number plate
Pre-booking for fitting may be required. To arrange number plate fitting, please contact your local store. Fitting is subject to vehicle inspection.