Tents Buyer's Guide
With so many tents to choose from, it can be hard to know which one to pick. Use this tent buying guide from Halfords to help you find the right one.
Camping is great for getting away on a budget with your family and friends, so buying a decent tent should provide you with memorable holidays for years to come. Use the guidance below to learn about the key features and benefits to look out for.
CHOOSING THE RIGHT TENT
3 Key Factors To Consider When Buying a Tent
There are a few key factors you need to think about before buying a tent:
- How many people will be sleeping in it? While a 2 man tent may be the obvious choice for a couple, it's a good idea to opt for a 4 man tent for some extra space.
- What layout do you require? Some tents provide a 'living room' with separate bedrooms, while others have a single room for sleeping and living.
- How long do you want to spend putting up the tent? Larger tents can take quite a while to set up, whereas pop up tents only take a few minutes.
Types of Tent
Here are the main types of tent sold at Halfords - think about which would be most suited to your style of camping:
Spacious and often have separate rooms. See our family tents buyer's guide for more info.
Perfect for a weekend listening to your favourite bands. Check out our festival tents buyer's guide.
Pop Up Tents
Pop up in no time, so you can start having fun as soon as you arrive. Take a look at our pop up tents buyer's guide.
Small 1-2 man tents that are easy to carry. Handy for hiking, cycling and backpacking.
3-4 man tents that offer a bit more room. Great for short breaks.
5-6 man tents that provide loads of space to sleep and store equipment.
Tent Protection From The Elements
Depending on how they are made, tents offer different levels of protection from the elements. Look out for these features:
- Hydrostatic head (HH) - this measures how waterproof a tent is. The higher the number, the more protection it offers.
- Insulation - this will affect how warm you are at night and protects against condensation that can build up on the inside walls. Double-skinned tents offer the highest insulation.
- Protection from wildlife - if bugs will bother you, look for a tent with mosquito nets and a rising groundsheet that will keep out crawlies (and also means less draughts).
Tent Extras for a Little Bit of Luxury
For a really convenient and more luxurious camping holiday, look for a tent with these added extras:
- Lighting point - some tents offer you a place you hang your camping light, meaning no fiddling around with the torch in the dark.
- Storage - such as built in pockets, helping you to keep the tent tidy and organised!
- Headspace - the higher the tent, the more spacious it will be, and you won't have to crouch to get in.
Another tip - If you're camping with a group, buying a gazebo or base tent can provide a great central point for you all to gather together, and will extend your living space.
Buy Tents Online from Halfords
Halfords has massive range of tents for sale to suit every camping occasion. To find out more about the different tent brands we sell, take a look at our tent comparison chart.
If you're still unsure about which one to buy, please feel free to pop into your local Halfords and chat to a member of our in-store team. They will be happy to advise you on picking a tent and any other camping equipment from our range.
Once you've decided, tents can be reserved online to collect in-store or bought online for home delivery.