Getting the right sized bike
Having a bike that's the right size for you is crucial - it'll make cycling safer and more comfortable. But not everyone knows what size bike is right for them and that's where we can help.
Choosing the right one
Bikes are measured according to their frames and we sell all sorts of different sized frames at Halfords.
Just follow these 4 simple steps to find the right one for you:
- For Road Bikes: Measure your inside leg in centimetres
- For Hybrid & Mountain Bikes: Measure your inside leg in inches.
- Open up our downloadable bike frame size guides at the bottom of this article.
- Look at what sized frame you'll need.
- If you're in-between sizes, you'll need to work out your reach. To do this, measure your arm span and take away your height. If you're left with a positive number, try the larger frame first. If not, go with the smaller frame
Other to tips
- Make sure your tip-toes are firmly on the ground when you're sat on the saddle.
- Make sure you can easily reach and move the handlebars when you're sat on the saddle.
- Stand over the saddle and, with both feet planted on the ground, make sure there's at least 3 inches of space between you and the top bar of the bike.
- Remember that a lot of bike frames are made and measured differently and you can find discrepancies in frame sizes. Check the bike's product page for more details and don't forget that we're always here to help - just pop into your local Halfords store.
Bike Frame Size Guides
The following .pdf files contain bike frame size tables for the bikes sold at Halfords.
Road Bike Size Guide
If you are considering a road bike, look at our road bike size guide, which includes information on compact, semi compact and standard frames, as well as sizing of female-specific road bikes.