Driving On Ice Safely
Driving on ice is sometimes unavoidable in winter as the cold weather hits and the roads freeze over. Follow these basic winter driving tips and you should be able to control your car safely when driving in ice and snow.
Hitting a patch of ice can be quite scary, but the key is to remain calm and keep your movements smooth. Always take extreme care when driving in icy or snowy weather, and never try to rush - it's better to arrive late to an appointment than not at all.
Read on below for some advice on handling your car in slippery conditions, plus a few suggestions for essential kit that you should keep in your car in preparation for the winter.
Driving On Ice and Snow - Before Setting Off
- Always check the weather forecast. If conditions are bad, don't travel unless it's absolutely essential.
- If you do decide to go out, allow plenty of time for your journey and stick to major roads, which are more likely to have been gritted.
- Clear all windows completely using de-icer and an ice scraper before driving.
- Take along a blanket, torch, fully charged mobile phone, snow shovel, some food and a breakdown kit in case you get stuck or break down.
Driving On Ice and Snow - Driving Tips
- Remember stopping distances can be ten times longer when driving on ice, so keep a large amount of space between yourself and the car in front.
- Pull away in second gear, gently easing your foot off the clutch. Once moving, try to maintain a constant speed using as high a gear as possible. Steer smoothly at all times.
- Take bends very carefully, using the gears to slow down before reaching the curve.
- Try to avoid making any sudden movements as this may cause you to lose control of your vehicle. If you skid, steer out of it rather than slamming your foot on the brakes.
- Wait until hills are clear of other cars before attempting to climb them. Use a low gear when driving up a hill, and try to avoid stopping until you've reached the top.
Get Geared Up for Driving On Ice With Halfords
These items are available to reserve online and collect in-store, or to buy online for delivery to your home or place of work.
That's helpful, that's Halfords - order all your car winter essentials today.