How to Clean a Bike Guide + Video
Get some helpful tips from Halfords on the best way to clean your bike.
How to Clean A Bike
Cleaning your bike regularly will do more than just keep it looking good. Frequent cleaning will:
- save you money - grease, dirt and grit will wear and damage bike parts
- give you more fun - a clean bike in tip-top condition is more likely to deliver the best ride possible.
Your cleaning checklist
Grab yourself the following items and then follow our simple 5-step plan:
- a bucket of warm water
- bike cleaner, bike lube, bike polish
- rag, sponge, chamois leather
- set of bike cleaning brushes
The best way to clean your bike
- Stand your bike upright, spray bike cleaner onto the frame and use a sponge and warm water to remove most of the dirt.
- Dip a chain brush in degreaser and scrub your gear cassette, jockey wheels, chain rings and chain. Then rinse everything off with water.
- Spray bike cleaner on your wheels and brush the braking area of the rims well. Don't leave pieces of material behind.
- Rinse the bike using clean water, then wipe the rest of your bike down using a sponge or a rag.
- Dry your bike straight away with a rag or chamois leather. Put some bike polish on for extra shine.
Extra bike cleaning tips
- Don't use a pressure washer to clean your bike.
- Don't rinse your brakes or gears too much, because they need a small amount of grease.
- If you want the best results, spray or dip lubricant onto your bike chain and all degreased parts.