Help & Advice


Help Centre FAQs

  • Motoring FAQs
    • The supplier will need to see original documents that:
      Prove your name and address
      Show you're allowed to use the registration number

      Identity documents

      You can use the following to confirm your name and address:

      Driving licence
      Utility, Council Tax or rates bill from the last 6 months
      Bank or building society statement from the last 6 months
      National identity card

      The following will confirm your name only:

      Passport (doesn't have to be issued in the UK)
      Bank or building society debit or credit card
      Police warrant card
      Armed forces identity card

      Proving you can use the registration number

      The DVLA stipulates that you must provide one of the following to show you're allowed to display the registration number:

      Vehicle registration certificate (V5C or V5CNI)
      New keeper supplement (V5C/2 or V5C/2NI)
      Certificate of entitlement (V750 or V750NI) to the number
      Retention document (V778) (not applicable in Northern Ireland)
      A renewal reminder for a tax disc or SORN (V11 or V11NI)
      Temporary registration certificate (V379 or V379NI)
      A number plate authorisation certificate (V948) with an official stamp from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA) or Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA)
      A letter of authorisation from a fleet operator (including lease or hire company) quoting the document reference number from the registration certificate

      For further information, please see the DVLA website: