Replacement Number Plates Made at Halfords
Cracked or damaged plates? Here at Halfords we can make you a brand new set while you wait - read this quick guide to find out more.
Replacement Number Plates Made at Halfords
Need some Replacement Number Plates?
If either of your car number plates is cracked, broken, faded or has marks obscuring the letters and numbers, then they're illegal and need to be replaced. Luckily Halfords is here to help - we can make you some shiny new or replacement number plates* for your car or bike while you wait. We can also help out by making you an extra set of number plates if you're towing, or using a rear-mount cycle carrier. And that's not all - you can design your plates online too! (UK only)Design your plates
Pick Your Style
We can supply new standard oblong, square or motorcycle number plates, with different emblems, borders and lettering options to tickle your fancy.
We are registered with the DVLA as a number plate supplier, which means that all of our new and replacement number plates are completely road legal. Standard number plate prices start from just £16 each.
See all the available options
What documents do I need to bring with me?
Most importantly you'll need to bring the right documents with you to your local store to get your new plates. The law states that you must provide current proof of identity and proof of entitlement to the registration mark quoted in order to get replacement number plates.
If you reserve your plates online, they can't be made until we have verified your documents instore.
At least one original document from each of the lists below is required for us to supply you with a legal number plate - i.e. you need to bring one document listed under 'proof of identity', and one from the list 'proof of entitlement', required by the DVLA to prove that you are allowed to display the plate. Together, the two documents must let us check your name, address and vehicle entitlement. We only accept the following documents:
1. Proof of Identity:
- Driving licence
- Bank/Building Society statement issued within the last six months
- Current utility, telephone or Council Tax bill issued within the last six months
- National ID card issued by the Government of a state of territory other than the UK
- Debit or credit card issued by a bank or building society
- Police warrant card
- Armed forces identity card
Remember - whichever Proof of Identity document you bring needs to show your name and address!
2. Proof of Entitlement:
- A Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C) (Please be aware only the new red V5C Certificates are accepted, and not the old blue Certificates)
- The tear-off slip (V5C/2) from (V5C section 10)
- A Certificate of entitlement to a mark (V750)
- A Cherished Transfer Retention Certificate (V778)
- A Vehicle Licence Renewal (V11)
- A Temporary Registration Certificate (V379)
- An Authorisation Certificate (V948) from DVLA Local Office with official DVLA stamp, or a downloaded hard copy of the eV948 (Unfortunately we cannot accept forms shown to us on phones.)
- A letter of authorisation from Fleet Operators (including a lease/hire company). The letter must quote the document reference number from the V5C
Sometimes you might need to provide a third document if the two documents brought into store do not show your address. For example, if you bring a debit card and V948 into store, neither document shows where you live - so you'd need to bring in another listed document for proof of address.
Please note: These are legal guidelines imposed by the DVLA, and sadly we can't provide you with new or replacement registration plates without the correct documents!
As of March 2015, the DVLA allows you put your personalised registration (PR) number on retention online. You can receive instant confirmation that your personalised number plate has been put on retention, and you'll be told what the replacement registration number for the vehicle will be.
The DVLA also released an electronic version of the V948 certificate, called the eV948. You can download this certificate and present it along with your other paperwork to have your replacement plate made up.
Save Hassle with our Number Plate Fitting Service
Here at Halfords we can also fit your new or replacement plates for you - either using adhesive pads to fix the plates to the vehicle, or drilling the plates for you to keep them firmly in place. Our number plates start from £16, and our fitting prices are:
|Plates & Fitting Type||Fitting Cost|
|Single Number Plate - Stick On + Pads||£3|
|Pair of Number Plates - Stick On + Pads||£5|
|Single Number Plate - Drilled + Fixings||£6|
|Pair of Number Plates - Both Drilled + Fixings||£9|
|Pair of Number Plates - Combination Fit + Fixings||£8|
*Fitting only - price shown does not include cost of number plate, only available in the UK
Pre-booking for fitting may be required. To arrange number plate fitting, please contact your local store. Fitting is subject to vehicle inspection.Design your plates