How to Clean a Bike Guide + Video
Get some helpful tips from Halfords on the best way to clean your bike.
How to Clean A Bike
Cleaning your bike regularly will do more than just keep it looking good. Frequent cleaning will:
- Save you money - grease, dirt and grit will wear and damage bike parts.
- Give you more fun - a clean bike in tip-top condition is more likely to deliver the best ride possible.
- Get you to work on time - everyone knows a shiny bike is faster!
Your cleaning checklist
Grab yourself the following items and then follow our simple 5-step plan:
- A bucket of warm water
- Bike cleaner, lube, and bike polish if you're feeling fancy
- Rags, a sponge, and a chamois leather
- A set of bike cleaning brushes
The best way to clean your bike
- Stand your bike upright, spray bike cleaner onto the frame and use a sponge and warm water to remove most of the dirt.
- Dip a chain brush in degreaser and scrub your gear cassette, jockey wheels, chain rings and chain. Then rinse everything off with water.
- Spray bike cleaner on your wheels and brush the braking area of the rims well. Don't leave pieces of material behind.
- Rinse the bike using clean water, then wipe the rest of your bike down using a sponge or a rag.
- Dry your bike straight away with a rag or chamois leather. Put some bike polish on for extra shine.
Extra bike cleaning tips
- Don't use a pressure washer to clean your bike. Pressure washers can force water into components and remove the grease, causing them to get damaged.
- Don't rinse your brakes or gears too much, because they need a small amount of grease.
- After cleaning, spray or drip lubricant onto your bike chain and all degreased parts and wipe off the excess. Remember to keep this lubricant off your braking surfaces!
Bike cleaning products are made to be kind to your bike and cut through all the muck that builds up when you're riding, so you can spend less time scrubbing and more time riding! Not just that, it makes it easier to clean your bike before you put it away and avoid things like rust taking hold. Take a look at our range and get ready to show the competition a clean set of wheels.
View all Bike Cleaning